RACE/EVENT WEEKEND REPORT
Honolulu Tri | 05.17.09

I know this is long overdue...so here it is...following is a detailed report of my eventful triathlon weekend -- complete with hot weather, a flat tire and jellyfish -- happy reading!
~Friday, May 15~

We flew out of SFO at 9am, on a full flight...that wasn't so fun. But when we landed at around 12 noon Hawaiian time and walked out of the terminal -- the warm breeze and humidity hit me and I instantly felt the "ahhhhhh....Hawaii...." feeling. For those of you that have been to Hawaii -- you know the exact feeling I am talking about -- the instant "ahhhhhh" feeling...that "Aloha" feeling...I met up with my fellow East Bay Teammates at the baggage claim -- we were all excited and ready for our event weekend to begin!
When we got to our hotel at around 1pm, we had to quickly check in and get ready to pick our bikes up at the loading dock. We had a scheduled practice swim at 3pm and we were to ride our bikes from our hotel to the swim spot at Ala Moana Park -- so between 1:30 and 2:30pm, our team was at the hotel loading dock, putting on our bike pedals and putting air into our tires. At the loading dock, I noticed a majority of the bikes had flat tires...wait, why does everyone have flat tires except for me? Wow, I sure am lucky that my tires aren't flat like everyone else's...or so I thought...but then I realized that the flat tires were on purpose -- note to self: you have to let air out of your tires when shipping your bike via airplane (because of the change in air pressure in a plane -- duh!) But of course, I found all of this out the hard way...after I put my pedals on, I checked my tires. The back tire pressure was fine...the front tire air pressure was a bit low, so I decided to add some air -- but as soon as I loosened the valve on my tire, green slime gushed out and splattered everywhere...on the ground, all over my hand, on my clothes...and it was about 80 degrees out, so not only did I have green slime all over me, but I was sweating uncontrollably to boot...not a pretty sight...so now I had to change the tube and that meant having to remove the wheel -- basically, I had to change a flat...not fun in hot weather. Of course, everything I needed to change a flat was in my room. After trekking back from my room, I attempted to change the tube...the only issue was that I couldn't get the tire off of my wheel....hmph :| Luckily, my husband and my cousins decided come down to the loading dock to see how I was doing (which, they could tell from my cussing and sweating -- was not good). So with their help, we were able to successfully change the tube, put air in it, and be on my merry little way to swim practice...
We left as a group from the hotel to Ala Moana Park. It was a nice, hot ride through the streets of Waikiki. When we got there, we all couldn't wait to get in the water -- did I mention it was hot? The coach told us to swim for about 20 mins -- for most, that's about a half a mile, for me, I'd be lucky if I could get a few strokes in! When I got in the water, and got to about waist deep, it was a little cold -- but Hawaii, relieving cold -- not San Francisco Bay cold. One of my pet peeves about open water swimming is the effort is takes to try to wiggle my way into a wetsuit -- the good thing about swimming in the open water in Hawaii is that you don't need to wear one, unless you think that 80 degree water temps is too cold!?! So I waded in the water for a few minutes just so I could get acclimated -- I was still a little apprehensive about swimming in the open water, but I decided that I didn't have any more time to be scared -- it was now or never, I had to swim -- so then I put my face in and took a few strokes...it was a totally different experience putting my face in the lukewarm water AND not wearing a wetsuit AND being able to actually see in water! Even though it was a little cloudy, I could still see the sand at the bottom. I didn't have any issues with breathing -- I took a few more strokes and just took my time enjoying the water -- yes, I actually enjoyed the swim!
After the swim we all attended the mandatory race briefing in the park. They went over the race course and rules. Then they told us that we would do the swim on Saturday and do a Duathlon (run-bike-run) on Sunday because of the looming arrival of jellyfish on Sunday morning (during our scheduled race day swim). We also learned that the jellyfish were already out there -- they are prevalent in the morning when the tide brings them in and then by the afternoon, the tide moves them out. Upon hearing the news, there was a collective "awwww, bummer" sigh from the crowd -- but hey, I get it -- we can either do a safe Duathlon or do a Triathlon with the risk of being stung by jellyfish -- I would choose the former too! After the briefing we all got our race packets and numbers and rode back to the hotel -- some of us a little dejected, yes even me -- I had trained 15 weeks and was prepared to swim-bike-run all on the same day -- darn those menacing jellyfish!
~Saturday, May 16~
Our official swim was scheduled for 4pm, so we had the morning and early afternoon to do as we pleased...so what did I do? Sat poolside and tanned! =) At around 2:30, I got all of my gear ready and rode down to Ala Moana Park with the team to set up our transition area. When we got the the transition area, I found the section with my number and put my bike on the rack -- this being my first triathlon, I had no idea how to rack my bike -- so I looked around to see how others had racked their bike and I did the same.
After we had all set up our transition area, we had a bit of time until the swim start. At this point, I still wasn't sure if I was going to do the swim -- after all, it didn't really count anyway, right? And I technically did the swim on Friday...so why would I need to do it again? And there was a possibility that even though we were swimming in the afternoon, that there might be a lingering jellyfish or two that didn't wash out with the tide -- and my luck, they would find me! After much thought, I was prepared to NOT swim...then on
e of my teammates, who was doing the same distance as me, talked me into changing my mind...so we walked over to get our swim caps and timing chip (great, they were still going to time our swim even though it didn't count towards our race time -- look I know I'm slow, and likely to come in last...do we really need a record of it?)Before I knew it, it was time for our wave to line up at the Start Line...OMG -- I couldn't believe it -- I was really going to swim! We lined up and shortly after, our wave started to run into the water...and my heart felt like it was going to jump out of my body! My strategy was simple -- let the pack take off, I will hang out in the back -- and that is exactly what I did. Everyone ran into the water, my teammate and I walked in and took our time.
When it got waist deep, I dove in...because it was so hot, it actually was relieving to be in the water. I started to take a few strokes...my adrenalin was pumping now and all I could think of was "I don't want to be last...I don't want to be that girl." My teammate Sue was a sweetheart -- even though she was ahead of me and a way faster swimmer than me, she kept stopping and looking back to make sure I was ok -- she kept yelling "c'mon Danette, you can do it!" I don't think I could have mentally finished the swim without her. As I was approaching the the turnaround buoy, I was exhausted...I stopped quite a few times and treaded water -- which I think was making me even more tired (note to self: flip on your back when you get tired...treading water makes you even more tired!) When I finally got to the buoy, I looked up and there was a lifeguard on a surf board "are you ok?" he asked. "Yeah, but I'm a little tired...can I get a ride?" He laughed. "You're halfway there!" Halfway? -- that wasn't very helpful . I started to swim again. About halfway to the finish, there was another lifeguard on a surfboard -- "are you ok?" I must have looked like I was dying or something, because the lifeguards kept asking me if I was ok. He also had to redirect me because I was swimming
toward oncoming swimmers in the other waves. Yeah, I have to work on that sighting thing -- give me some time, baby steps, hey, I just learned how to swim! The third lifeguard that I passed said "you're almost there!" -- yeah, "almost" is such a relative term -- easy for him to say, he's on a surf board! After what seemed like an eternity, I started to hear the crowd yelling. Hearing the crowd gave me more motivation to swim harder and faster...and before I knew it, my hand was touching the sand, which, I learned in training, was an indication to stop swimming and get up and run to shore and towards the finish line -- I DID IT! I swam the damn thing! And I didn't get stung by jellyfish! Better yet, I didn't drown! =)~Sunday, May 17~Race Day
I woke up at 2:45am -- yes, that's AM -- we were supposed to be in the lobby by 4:30am to get on the shuttle. So I needed at least an hour to eat breakfast and get myself ready. I was out the door and in the lobby by 4:15am. We boarded the shuttle and were off by 4:30am. Here is what my teammate Kathryn and I looked like at 4:30am -- bright eyed and bushy tailed =)

When we got to the park, we walked to the transition area and got our body markings -- I've been in quite a few marathons and they give you a bib, but something about getting body marked with your number makes it all feel "official." After we got body marked, I went to my transition area and made sure everything was all set up for my T1 and T2. Then I waited with my teammates for the event to start -- while we were waiting, we got a little creative and drew jellyfish tatoos on our arms to commemorate the event:
It was then time for my Olympic teammates to start -- so we cheered them on and watched them run in from their first run. Then, it was time for my group to start...after a few minutes of waiting...we heard the gun and we were off! I started off slow, not really sure what my pace was because (I forgot to mention) that I left my Garmin running watch on my bike overnight and so when I checked on it the morning of the race -- of course, the batteries were dead. So all I had was my regular Timex Ironman watch which doesn't show my pace, so I had to use my internal pacer -- that is, if I was huffin, puffin too hard, then I was running too fast...by the time I reached the turnaround point, the heat was already starting to get to me. And when I got to the water stop, I took two cups of water -- one for consumption and one for cooling off and dumping on my head -- instant temporary relief from the heat.

At T1 (Transition 1: Run to Bike) -- I knew had to quickly hydrate and eat something in addition to getting the appropriate bike gear on. Since my bike was racked close to the fence, my cheer squa

d was able to watch me transition and cheer me on...the occasional "hurry up!" from my oh-so-supportive husband gave me the extra umph I needed :-) (I think he thought I was actaully trying to race!) I then walked my bike out of transition and to the "mount" line. Then I was off! The bike ride was actually pretty nice -- read: flat course. No hills, except when riding over the overpass! It took me about 50 mins to complete the bike portion...then it was on to run #2...At T2 (bike to run) -- I again took my time, hey, it was hot--I needed to rest, fuel, and hydrate! Got all my running gear back on and then I was off for my second run. About 5 mins into the run, the sun was beating and I was barely moving...my legs were like jello from the bike ride...but I knew if I stopped, I wouldn't be able to start again...so I just kept chugging along. After the first mile, I started to pick up my speed and I was starting to gain my second wind...I h it the first waterstop, took two cups of water, one for hydration and one for cooling off -- and I was off -- this time feeling much better. I started to run even faster and I was starting to pass people up! I kept this speed for the rest of the run. I think the beautiful scenery was a helpful distraction, because before I knew it, I was approaching the turn towards the finish line--and on my way to officially becoming a TRIathlete--ok, so technically, a DUathlete -- either way, I did a swim, bike, run and I got a medal to prove it! ;-p


The results are in!
So I know I'm not the fastest athlete out there...the fact that I even finished the swim is a miracle! But on the second run -- I came in 2nd in my age group!!! Woohoo!
With my first triathlon/duathlon done -- I am starting to have withdrawals...I need more! So stay tuned for my next athletic adventure...
Thanks for reading!
Until next time...
Happy...Running...Biking...and Swimming!


The results are in!So I know I'm not the fastest athlete out there...the fact that I even finished the swim is a miracle! But on the second run -- I came in 2nd in my age group!!! Woohoo!
With my first triathlon/duathlon done -- I am starting to have withdrawals...I need more! So stay tuned for my next athletic adventure...
Thanks for reading!
Until next time...
Happy...Running...Biking...and Swimming!
2 comments:
You need more? IronTeam November 2009-August 2010
Good for you! congratulations, and well done!
Post a Comment