Friday, May 8, 2009

Special Announcement


(from: http://www.honolulutriathlon.com/)


Special Announcement

We have announced previously that the decision would be made to change the race to a Duathlon if necessary, based on the credible possibility of a large jellyfish infestation in the swim area on race day. We are now ten days before race day and have decided to continue monitoring the situation before making the final decision. While we would much prefer that the event remain a Triathlon, our utmost priority is the safety of our athletes. We will continue to collect the latest information and analysis and will announce our final decision on Friday, May 15th at 12:00 p.m. PST, on this website, in an email to athletes, and at the event prior to the race.

If the decision is made to cancel the swim, the race format will be:

Olympic - 5k run, 40k bike, 10k run.
Sprint - 3k run, 20k bike, 5k run,
Youth & Youth Elite - 1.2k run, 10k bike, 2.5k run.

This Duathlon course meets the standards set by USA Triathlon. We would offer the swim portion on Saturday May 16th at 4:00 p.m. PST as a separate race, FREE to those who register for the Triathlon. Thank you for your patience and continued support of this event. Click here to see the Duathlon maps.

------------------------------------

I can't believe I'm saying this, but....damn those jellyfish! I've prepared for a triathlon...and I want to use/put to the test my newly acquired triathlon skills in Hawaii! Hmph :|



1 comment:

o2bhiking said...

I think that even the most fearful swimmers would be disappointed because it means not truly doing a tri, despite all the training. Hope it goes ahead as a true triathlon.