According to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, the definition of the word "recommit" is:
Function:
transitive verb
Date:
1621
1 : to refer (as a bill) back to a committee
2 : to entrust or consign again
To "entrust" again -- I think that sums up my triathlon experience thus far. In this second attempt to complete a triathlon, I have entrusted the enhancement of my swim, bike and run skills (or lack thereof) to the TNT coaches in the hopes that all this training will help me get across that finish line in May (crossing my fingers...and toes!)
Last week, I signed and sent in my recommitment forms -- I've committed to raising money for this incredible cause and I am officially doing this triathlon in May -- yikes! To make the recommitment even more of a reality, today I booked my flights/hotel with the TNT travel agent ~ALOOOOOHA~ Time for a pina colada to celebrate -- oh wait, I'll save that for after I cross the finish line (part of the training is to think positively) -- if you think you can do it, you will! At least, that's what I keep telling myself!
So last Sunday, the coaches videotaped us swimming so they could critique our swimming technique/form and help give us better advice on what we should/need to correct in our swim form. For me, the fact that I'm able to get from one side of the pool to the other is a feat in and of itself -- so for the coaches to critique my swim form was actually pretty intimidating, but then I figured they could at least tell me if I even had any sort of form to my swimming at all, and that would at least be helpful.
When it was time to get into the pool (I was the first one from my group to get videotaped, woohoo, lucky me!) I was a little scared (read: terrified) because 1. I had never swam in a pool where I couldn't touch the bottom of the pool, and the lane we were supposed to swim in for the videotaping was 12 ft deep and 2. everyone was watching me! So when I finally got the courage to jump in, I did panic for a minute, then when I reached the surface to get my breath, I actually felt ok -- the water was a nice temperature and I soon realized it was a salt water pool. I swam a few laps before the coach signaled to me that he was ready to videotape me -- and actually, that part wasn't so bad. I swam two laps and he videotaped me from one angle one way, and a different angle on the second lap. And that was it....until it came time to review my swimming...
When it was my turn to review my swimming "form" (that is, if you can call having no form a form) it was quite interesting...did I mention I just learned how to swim?!?! Let's just say I still have quite a few things to work on. Right now, I am just satisfied with the fact that I can swim (really swim) from one end of the pool to the other without water wings! LOL! I can work on my "form" when I train for my next triathlon ;-)
------------------
AHA! Moment #3
Swimming in the deep end of the pool is no different than swimming in the shallow end...however, if you can't swim, at least you can stand up in the shallow end. But once you do learn to swim, the depth of the water is negligible because hey, you can swim! AHA!
2 comments:
Way to go, Danette!
Yay Danette! You can and you will! You can and you will raise the rest of your funds! You can and you will complete your triathlon! You will even have enough energy to lift that pina colada! And you will always look back at 2009 as the most amazing year!
Post a Comment