So I last left off with the forces of nature waking me up at 2am...
Well, backing up to 8:30pm on Saturday night...it was cold and it sprinkled for a few minutes. And we knew that the forecast called for rain on Sunday morning -- we just didn't know when on Sunday morning. So at 2am, as I am comfortably sound asleep in my sleeping bag -- all of the sudden I hear a howling wind, followed by a torrential downpour of rain -- this combo went on for a a good 20 minutes, then it started to die down...but then an hour or so later, it started back up again...only this time even more fierce than the last. None of this would have bothered me, except that the wind kept getting stronger and louder...the last thing I needed was for my tent to get blown away...all I could hear in my head was "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore" and my tent would be 100 ft away from its original spot...landing on someone else's tent!
So needless to say, I didn't sleep very well for the next few hours -- even with ear plugs in, I could still hear the wind and rain pounding on my tent. When I woke up, my friend told me that we had some water damage on the tent in the middle of the night -- I guess we didn't zip up the door all the way and water got in through the opening and into our tent. Luckily it was our last day camping -- so all I really cared about was doing my morning run and packing up and heading home! And that is exactly what I did. At 8:00am I ate a quick breakfast and headed out to the lake for my run. I only needed to run 2 miles, so I wasn't worried. I heard that the route had some hills, but after running the Nike Marathon twice, I wasn't worried about hills anymore (if you've ever run the Nike Marathon, you know what real hills are like!) So after running 2 miles, I headed back to camp and packed up -- a quick change out of my running gear and by 11am we were all packed up and saying goodbye to Lake San Antonio!
Whew -- what a weekend! Camping, training, close encounters with the animal kind...but I got through it all...I survived training weekend!
I think I'll put my camping gear in storage now...and keep it there for a while! =)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment