Thursday, April 2, 2009

What do you mean there's jellyfish in the water??!?!


When you see this sign -- that means get the hell out of the water or risk being stung by a jelly fish! (or it could also mean, beware of the life size jellyfish -- but in either case, it's not a good sign!)


So I received the following email this afternoon from one of the Team in Training managers:

Honolulu TNT Triathletes!

I was just informed of a situation with the Honolulu Triathlon and would like to make you aware. Honolulu city officials informed us that Box Jelly Fish are currently arriving on shore 24 hours ahead of their normal arrival dates after a full moon. As a result, the jelly fish are due to arrive on May 17, the day of the triathlon. Because safety is the primary concern of the race director, the swim portion only of the triathlon may be rescheduled to Saturday, May 16, if conditions do not change. It will still be an official, time recorded swim. On Sunday, the triathlon would be changed to a duathlon.

Here is the latest information from the Honolulu Triathlon website:
Based on credible information from professional and reliable sources, there is a strong possibility of a large infestation of jellyfish disrupting the swim portion of this event on race day, Sunday May 17th. If the status of the jellyfish does not change we will offer a Duathlon for the following events: Olympic - 5k run, 40k bike, 10k run. Sprint - 3k run, 20k bike. We will also offer the swim portion the day before, Saturday May 16th. This will be FREE to those who register for the Triathlon. This website will be updated to reflect the change. We will closely monitor the situation and provide updates. Click here for more information.

No matter what, there will be a race and TNT will participate. While it may or may not be the race you originally thought you would do, ask any of our honorees and they will tell you that life is full of uncertainties, challenges, and unexpected events. But you persevere and make each challenge your own triumph. If the swim portion of the event changes, yes, you may be disappointed. But think of your honorees and what they may do in the face of any sudden changes or disappointments. I will keep you updated with the most current information, as I receive it.
GO TEAM!


As soon as I read this email, the following thoughts went racing through my head:
  • Jellyfish?!?!?! In the water where I'm supposed to swim?!?!?!
  • Wait, I may not have to SWIM?!?!? My prayers have been answered!
  • I can do a duathlon!
  • Wait, is this an April fool's joke?!?!
Then I went to the Honolulu Triathlon website and sure enough, at the top of the homepage -- a "Special Announcement" with all the information that our Manager sent us.

One could take this to be a blessing in disguise...Jellyfish = no swim...Can you guess what I'll be praying for? :-)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Ya think that these migrating jelly fish might end up in the Russian River come August 1st?